What is a reverse osmosis water tank?
Reverse osmosis water tank is one of the main elements of an under sink reverse osmosis system and its main purpose is to act as a purified water storage.
Why is a reverse osmosis water tank so important?
As the production of a reverse osmosis system is fairly slow, the importance of a reverse osmosis water tank is so much bigger.
The most common reverse osmosis systems for domestic drinking water purification are producing around 2 gal of purified water per hour. This is a small flow rate, almost drop by drop producing rate of purified water.
It would be very annoying to wait to fill up a glass of water drop by drop…
This is where the importance of a reverse osmosis water tank comes in. When in operation, the reverse osmosis system slowly fills the purified water tank. Only when the tank is full the reverse osmosis stops with producing water.
As soon as even a small amount of water is used from the tank, the RO system immediately goes into operation to fill it up again.
This way you always have a full tank of purified water ready to use.
How does it work?
The purified water tank has a rubber membrane inside and it is filled with air. When the RO system produces purified water it is directed to the tank.
When the purified water faucet is opened the water from the tank is pushed by the air in the tank.
Immediately the RO system starts producing water to fill up the tank again.
This way the water flow is much higher than the purified water production. The whole volume of the tank can be used.
How long does it take to fill up the purified water tank
It really depends on few parameters. Reverse osmosis membrane type and capacity, inlet water pressure, reverse osmosis water tank volume determine the speed of tank filling.
For the most common under sink reverse osmosis systems about 1 hour is the time it needs to fill the tank.
Purified water tank disinfection
A water tank disinfection should be done once a year. It can be done during a regular maintenance of the system. It is very important to keep the whole system microbiologically clean and it should be done with the complete system disinfection.
The whole procedure of disinfecting the purified water tank will be available in a short time in our new post.
16 in 1 Drinking Water Test Kit – Home Water Purity Test Strips for Aquarium, Pool, Well & Tap Water
- COMPLETE DRINKING WATER TEST KIT – Everything you need to test your water; tests for 16 parameters, ensures lead free and pH safe drinking water; testing tube and dropper included in every kit for easy sample collection
- SEPARATE PACKAGE – 100 testing strips packed in 10 sealable bags with dry agent to ensure long shelf life and reliable results. Strips in an open package need to be used within 90 days while in an unopened package can last up to two years. You don’t need to rush using all 100 strips within 90 days because we bag our strips separately.
- MULTIPLE USES – Test every water source around your home, including drinking, well and tap water, pool & spa, hot tub and aquarium
- RELIABLE AND FAST RESULTS – CE certified for proven, reliable and quick results in 2 minutes – easy to use and great for school projects
- ENJOY THE PEACE OF MIND – Detects low levels of impurities and foreign substances and keeps your family safe
Who am I?
I am working as a water treatment technical manager and I have more than 25 years of practical experience in water purification.
Water purification expert
After many years of experience in water purification, I want to share some of my knowledge and get people to know the real importance of water quality.
Water purification and water treatment are very complex themes, so it is important to explain them in an easy-to-read way.
On this blog, you will find many understandable, easy-to-read information about water purification.
I hope you enjoy it, find some useful information, and thank You for reading.
More info on my work and my expertise on water purification can be found on my LinkedIn profile.