Table of Contents
Introduction – Importance of RV water filters and Different types of RV water filters
RV water filters are an essential piece of equipment for any recreational vehicle. They help to ensure that the water you use while camping or traveling is clean and safe to drink.
Microbiologically unsafe water can ruin your vacation, so it is important the make the available water safe.
There are several different types of RV water filters available on the market, each with its own unique set of features and benefits.
It’s important to understand the different types and choose the best one for your needs.
Choosing the Best RV Water Filter
When choosing between RV water filters there are several important factors to consider. These include the type of filter, the size of the filter, the flow rate, and the price. Proper maintenance and replacement of your RV water filter is also crucial.
It is recommended to change the filter cartridge every 6-12 months or as soon as you notice a change in taste or a decrease in water pressure.
Factors to consider when choosing RV water filters
When choosing between RV water filters, there are several factors to consider:
- Type of filter: Inline units that combine carbon filtration and sediment removal are the best water filter systems for RVs. These systems have a decent odor and taste removal capacity, but limited sediment removal.
- Flow rate: A filter that takes out more particles will also reduce your water pressure because it creates more resistance as water runs into your RV. That’s why all RV water filters will tell you their flow rate measured in gallons per minute.
- Maintenance: How often are you willing to maintain your system? Consider the life of the filter and how often it needs to be replaced.
- Effectiveness: When shopping around for a water filter for RV hose, you must look for one that can effectively reduces the odor, bad taste, chlorine and sediments in your RV water. After all, your family’s health matters.
How to properly maintain and replace an RV water filter
Proper maintenance and replacement of RV water filters is crucial to ensure that the water in your recreational vehicle is safe to drink and use. Here are some tips on how to properly maintain and replace your RV water filter:
- Start by watching a tutorial video on how to replace RV water filters. This will give you a visual demonstration of the process and can help you understand the necessary steps.
- Once you are ready to replace your RV water filter, turn off the water supply to the RV and remove the filter housing with a provided wrench. Make sure to be careful when removing the housing, as it may be filled with excess water. Dump this water into a bucket, and then inspect the filter, O-ring, and housing for sediment, contaminants, and damage. Lightly clean each of these parts if necessary.
- As recommended by, you should then carefully pull off the housing as it will likely be filled with excess water. Dump that water into your bucket, and then inspect your system. Inspect the filter, O-ring, and housing for sediment/contaminants, and damage, and then lightly clean each of these. You shouldn’t have to scrub too hard.
- When installing a new filter, make sure that it is the correct type for your RV and that it is properly installed, with the O-ring in place and tightened securely. Turn the water supply back on, and flush the new filter for a few minutes to remove any debris or impurities.
- It’s important to note that the first step in removing contaminants is to use a very fine filter, such as the Doulton Ceramic unit, which has a rating of 0.9 microns, and absolutely will remove anything larger than 0.9 microns from your water as stated by. Viruses, however, are harder to remove, though an ultra-violet system should do this.
- Make sure to check the filter regularly for any signs of wear or damage, and replace it when necessary. The frequency of replacement will depend on the type of filter you are using and how much you use your RV. It’s recommended to check and replace your filter every 3-6 months or as often as the manufacturer recommends.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your RV water filter is properly maintained and replaced, ensuring that the water in your RV is safe to drink and use.
Top RV water filters – brands and their best products
Some of the top RV water filter brands include Camco, Aqua-Pure, and Culligan.
Camco’s TastePURE Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector
Advanced Filtration for Great Tasting Water
Enjoy great tasting water on your next camping or RV trip with Camco’s TastePURE Water Filter. This advanced filtration system removes bacteria, chlorine, and other impurities, providing you with clean, refreshing water every time.
Easy Installation and Maintenance
Easily install and maintain your Camco TastePURE Water Filter with minimal effort. The simple design allows for quick and easy installation, while the replaceable filter cartridge can be swapped out in just a few minutes. Plus, with a long filter life, you won’t have to worry about frequent replacements.
Durable and Reliable
Designed to withstand the rigors of life on the road, Camco’s TastePURE Water Filter is made from high-quality materials that provide long-lasting durability and reliability. You can trust that your water supply will always be great-tasting, no matter where your travels take you.
Aqua-Pure RV/Marine Water Filter Cartridge
Advanced Filtration for Pure, Safe Water
Experience the peace of mind that comes with knowing your RV or boat’s water supply is free from harmful contaminants with Aqua-Pure’s RV/Marine Water Filter. This advanced filtration system removes 99.9% of bacteria, viruses, and other impurities, ensuring that every sip of water you take is safe and delicious.
Easy Installation and Maintenance
Installing and maintaining Aqua-Pure’s RV/Marine Water Filter is a breeze. The compact design allows for easy installation and the filter cartridge can be replaced in just a few minutes. Plus, the filter’s long life means you won’t have to worry about frequent replacements.
Durable and Reliable
Aqua-Pure’s RV/Marine Water Filter is built to last. Made from high-quality materials, this filter is designed to withstand the rigors of life on the road or on the water. So whether you’re out exploring the wilderness or cruising the open sea, you can trust that your water supply will always be pure and safe.
Culligan RVF-10: The Ultimate RV and Marine Water Filter
Eliminate Unpleasant Tastes and Odors
The Culligan RVF-10 is a pre-tank filter designed specifically for RV and marine use. Its exterior filtration system removes bad taste and odor from your water, leaving you with clean and refreshing drinking water.
The RVF-10 comes with a hose fitting kit, making installation a breeze. No need to worry about complicated setup, simply attach the filter to your RV’s water intake and start enjoying better-tasting water.
Complete Filtration System
The RVF-10 includes a D-15 Basic Filtration cartridge, which reduces aesthetic chlorine taste and odor, as well as sediment. This complete and compact system is designed to fit in your recreational vehicle or boat, ensuring that you have clean and safe drinking water on the go.
RV water filters are an important piece of equipment that helps to ensure the safety and quality of the water you use while traveling or camping.
Understanding the different types of RV water filters and choosing the best one for your needs is crucial. Proper maintenance and replacement are also important to ensure the filter is functioning properly.
Top RV water filters brands and products, such as Camco, Aqua-Pure, and Culligan, offer a wide range of options to suit your specific needs.
Who am I?
I am working as a water treatment technical manager and I have more than 25 years of practical experience in water purification.
Water purification expert
After many years of experience in water purification, I want to share some of my knowledge and get people to know the real importance of water quality.
Water purification and water treatment are very complex themes, so it is important to explain them in an easy-to-read way.
On this blog, you will find many understandable, easy-to-read information about water purification.
I hope you enjoy it, find some useful information, and thank You for reading.
More info on my work and my expertise on water purification can be found on my LinkedIn profile.